.


Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church

4696 Notre Dame Lane
House Springs, MO.  63051
(636) 671-3062


Parish Profile




 



 



 



 

Our Lady Queen of Peace
Serving the Catholic Population of
Jefferson County since 1905

Come and Grow With Us!

The current boundaries of Our Lady Queen of Peace were established in 1959 when the Irish Parish of St. Columbkille and the German Parish of St. Philomena were combined to form the present parish.  The territorial size of the parish is one of the largest in the Archdiocese of St. Louis and, since 1959, Our Lady Queen of Peace has been one of the fastest growing parishes in the diocese.

When the new parish church was dedicated in 1961, there were approximately 600 families registered.  We now have approximately 830 families in the parish and we continue to grow as the population of Jefferson County continues to grow.

Parishioners of Our Lady Queen of Peace represent the broad spectrum of the population of the area - suburban families, older long time residents, and rural families.  Such a mix gives us a vitality and openness to people of different backgrounds as we seek to meet the spiritual and material needs of people from all walks of life.

On an average -

  • 15-20 parishioners attend daily Mass
  • Children in the parish school attend Mass twice a week
  • Approximately 30 baptisms are celebrated yearly
  • Approximately 30 children are Confirmed yearly
  • Approximately 10-15 weddings are celebrated yearly
  • Approximately 20-25 funerals are celebrated yearly
  • The Sacrament of the Sick is celebrated twice a year for the elderly and infirm
  • The Sacrament of Reconciliation is available weekly, and All Day Reconciliation is available on one Saturday during Advent and Lent
  • Eucharistic Adoration is held weekly
  • Perpetual Help Devotions are held weekly
  • Approximately 20 visits and communion calls to shut-ins are made weekly
  • Approximately 10 nursing home and hospital calls are made weekly
  • There are almost 60 organizations and activities in which parishioners are involved
  • There are approximately 85 children enrolled in the parish grade school and another 120 enrolled in the Parish School of Religion

Faith formation is a key element in parish life.  The parish school was established in 1965 and currently has approximately 85 students enrolled.  At present, the school is housed in modular classroom units, but there are plans to build a permanent school and parish center in the near future.

The Parish School of religion (PSR) currently operates with an enrollment of approximately 120 students.

Continuing faith formation for adults is also a priority.  The Parish Faith Formation Committee explores and implements days of recollection, retreats and enrichment faith formation programs for the parish.  The annual RCIA program presents the faith to people interested in joining the Catholic religion.  A Parish Social Ministry Committee provides opportunities for parishioners to become solidly grounded in Catholic Social Teaching and Gospel values and provides opportunities for parishioners to actively live our call to discipleship.


Parish History


The story of Our Lady Queen of Peace begins in the early 1800's with Irish Catholics settling in the area between the Meramec and the Big River. In 1844 the first parish to serve the settlers of this area was established by Bishop Kenrick, the first Archbishop of St. Louis. The first church built to serve the new settlers was St. Patrick's of Down, located on the Meramec river about four miles south of Pacific. As the population of the area increased, St. Patrick's was no longer centrally located. A new St. Patrick's was built, as well as the church of St. Columbkille in the present House Springs area in Byrnesville. Initially, both churches were served and administered from St. Patrick's. It wasn't until 1880 that a resident pastor was appointed to St. Columbkille's and the House Springs area had an independent parish.

The population of the area continued to grow and new parishes emerged. By the turn of the century, many Catholics from House Springs and High Ridge who had been attending Mass at St. Columbkille's were now attending at St. John's Church in Rock Creek or St. Joseph's Church in Kimswick.

In 1905, St. Philomena's church was built in House Springs as a mission of St. Columbkille's. It remained a mission church until 1948. During World War I, Fr. Jeremiah Murphy was appointed to serve the two Byrnesville-House Springs parishes. He remained pastor until his retirement in 1955. Through the time of the two World Wars and the Great Depression, the population of St. Columbkille's remained rather stable or decreased slightly, while the construction of Highway 30, giving easy access to St. Louis, contributed to the development of subdivisions and a rapid expansion in the population of House Springs and St. Philomena's. In 1957, St. Columkille's no longer had a resident pastor, but was administered by Fr. James Curtin, the resident pastor of St. Philomena's until the two parishes were merged in 1959.

A new, larger church to accommodate the parishioners of the merged churches and intended to be the new St. Philomena's, was built on the present site. With the reorganization of the calendar of saints, the Church was dedicated by Joseph Cardinal Ritter on July 20, 1961 as Our Lady Queen of Peace.

Since its dedication in 1961, Our Lady Queen of Peace has served the needs of Catholics in a large area of Jefferson County. By the parish's Twenty Fifth Anniversary in 1986, an excellent parish school was operating and a large PSR program was in place. Parish based service groups and faith formation groups were in place to nourish the spiritual needs of parishioners and take the spirit of Catholic faith at Our Lady Queen of Peace beyond our borders.

Our Lady Queen of Peace has moved into the new millenium and has celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 2011.  In 2012 a new Strategic Plan for Renewal and Growth was implemented.  This plan will lead us into our future. 

The parish remains a vibrant community of faith, a caring family of believers, and a model of Christian Witness in Jefferson County and the Archdiocese of St. Louis.

 

Come and grow with us!

All information in this historical sketch is excerpted from
OUR CATHOLIC HERITAGE
NORTHWEST JEFFERSON COUNTY
25TH ANNIVERSARY
1961-1986
OUR LADY QUEEN OF PEACE
 


 

St. Philomena Cemetery

St. Philomena Church

St. Columbkille Church

Our Lady Queen of Peace Church


Copyright 2013-2017
Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church
All Rights Reserved
Last Updated 11/04/2017